WORKSHOPS, MENTORSHIPS, CONSULTS, AND PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY SERVICES
Real life group and private workshops anywhere in the world or online mentorships and online consults from the comfort of your home.
Joel giving instructions at the Chicago workshop. © Janice D. Nelson.
Joel talking about his fine-art prints at the New York City workshop. © David Fowler.
Interested In My Services?
If you’re interested in my workshops or mentorships then please scroll down this page and use one of the workshop specific contact forms. If you are interested in one of my other professional services or have general inquiries, then please fill out the contact form, by clicking the button below. Or e-mail me directly at: email@example.com.
About My Teachings & Specialties
My workshops are customized towards the preferences of the students and cover in-depth knowledge of a broad range of topics and skills but my specialties for which I enjoy a worldwide reputation are the following:
- B&W photography and post-processing: Since 2011 I’ve been teaching my iSGM2.0 method of B&W post-processing that has since become the B&W method for many award-winning photographers. From 2018 onwards I’ll be introducing and teaching the next evolution of this method to private workshop and mentorship students only. I’m calling it iSGM3.0 and now includes techniques for B&W post-processing and masking on which I’ve spent the last 2 years inventing, refining and then perfecting. They are the natural result of my personal skills and views on B&W photography and art in general. Therefore these techniques are out-of-the-box, yet, they touch the very essence of what B&W photography is and provide an almost 100% level of control and transparency in the way of working. It’s therefore very unlikely that these advanced techniques are in use or being taught anywhere else. I believe that the combination of these new techniques for processing and masking with the existing and more publicly known iSGM2.0 workflow, will enable the student to create any B&W photograph the student can possibly envision with a subtlety and control that is unmatched. If you are a photographer who likes to be on the forefront of what is possible in digital B&W photography, then I will put you there and show what’s beyond.
- Fine-art photography: Fine-art photography is more than just a beautiful B&W photo. It is also about intention, meaning and emotion. My ideas on Fine-art are supported not only by artistic/emotional motives but also by more scientifically based findings and the history of art. I can introduce you to the world of fine-art photography and to my personal ideas on what fine-art photography and what art in general is. With a few simple criteria, you will be able to separate art from everything else. Last but not least: I can teach you how to create fine-art photographs.
- Architectural Photography, landscape photography and still life photography: These are the genres I’m specialized in but that I always approach from a fine-art point of view, never from a commercial or editorial point of view. From 2010 to 2014 I’ve won all major international photography awards in those genres. My contribution to the evolution and development of fine-art architectural photography over the past years has been acknowledged by
Private and Semi-Private Workshops
Private and semi-private real life workshops anywhere in the world.
- € 475 to € 1100 per person depending on the number of students and the number of workshop days. Price per person will decrease with a higher attendance (max. 5 persons) but an attendance of minimal 2 is recommended
- Note that the workshop fee doesn’t include your costs for traveling and accommodation. Click on the ‘I’m interested’ button below to indicate your preferences and to see the exact prices. If you have specific needs then feel free to indicate and ask for a quote.
- Prices start from $ 1347 per person for a 2-day workshop and depend on the number of attendees and location. Prices per person are less when more persons attend (max.5 ) or more in case a 3-day workshop is required
- Prices only include workshop fees, your travel and accommodation are not included. Click on the “I’m interested” button below to see the prices per person, depending on the location. If your location is not mentioned, feel free to ask a quote.
If you prefer the intimacy of a private workshop that is tailor-made for you in any place around the world, with you only, or if needed with 2 or more other students (max. 5) to make it a more semi-private workshop to reduce costs per attending student, then see the options below with private workshops all over the world. I offer the following types of private and semi-private workshops:
1. B&W post-processing workshop focused on giving you the right tools and skills using my own developed and popular method of iSGM2.0 and the new iSGM3.0 (2018 and later) that gives you complete control over your black and white photograph to ensure it is perfectly aligned with your personal artistic vision. I will use those methods in combination with my B&W Artisan Pro panel. This also includes portfolio reviews and in-depth and detailed suggestions on how to improve.
2. A fine art architectural workshop in any location in the world for a maximum of 3 days. I’m specialized in architectural workshops in New York City, Paris, London, and Chicago. Of course, other locations around the world are also possible and I’m happy to advise you on that and give you the experience that fits your needs.
3. A long exposure photography workshop in any location in the world. This can be in any great architectural location in the world or specifically focused on long exposure seascapes.
4. A combination of all the above. Anything is possible, you provide your personal preferences, I will advise you on that and will suggest the best options including routes and hotel accommodations.
Indicative price range:
– in the Netherlands and Belgium: varying from €475 to €1100 per person, depending on the number of students attending and 1 or 2 workshop days. Each private workshop will be concluded, 2 weeks after the workshop has taken place, with a 1-on-1 video-session (1.5 hrs) to review your work post-workshop and answer remaining questions.
– anywhere else in the world: varying from $1347 (when 5 attend) for the cheapest workshop location outside of the Netherlands and Belgium (Berlin) up to $4850 (when only 1 attends) per person for a 3-day workshop in the most expensive location in Melbourne, Australia. The more students, the less the workshop fee per person. Each private workshop will be concluded, 2 weeks after the workshop has taken place, with a 1-on-1 video-session (1.5 hrs) to review your work post-workshop and answer remaining questions.
If you don’t mind to have a semi-private workshop with one or max. four other students, then prices can decrease significantly since my personal expenses for travel/accommodations and fees will be spread out over the participants. Click on the “I’m interested buttons” for private workshops in NYC or anywhere else in the world, below, to see the prices per person, per location and number of attendees. Or click here for the prices for worldwide private workshops and here for the prices for private workshops in The Netherlands and Belgium. Note that the prices mentioned don’t include travel and accommodation for the student and note that you can still have a ‘full’ private workshop with other students that you’ve enlisted yourself. You can indicate all this via the ‘I’m interested’ buttons.
Interested in NL/Belgium (semi) private workshop
If you are interested in a private workshop on B&W post-processing in The Netherlands or Belgium, please fill out the contact form, by clicking the button below. You will receive a quote from me.
Interested In New York City (semi) private workshop
If you’re interested in a private workshop in NYC on B&W post-processing and architecture, then please fill out the contact form, by clicking the button below and check the exact prices
Interested In (semi) private workshop anywhere else
If you’re interested in a private workshop anywhere else on B&W post-processing and fine-art, then please fill out the contact form, by clicking the button below and check the exact prices.
Online Workshops And Mentorships
Online private workshops and mentorships from the comfort of your home, supported by live video conference
Online Workshop6 Week Course
- Duration: 6 – 8 Weeks, depending on the specific needs and experience, prices can vary too if more modules are added.
- There are 4 to 5 Weekly live video-sessions of 1.5 hrs each
Mentorship3 month minimum
- Duration: 3 month minimum, with option to extend for 1 or more months.
- 4 Weekly live video-sessions of 1.5 hrs each
If you prefer to have a private online workshop from the comfort of your home, anywhere in the world, then I can offer you the following.
1. An online workshop focused on the art of black and white photography post-processing: the black and white private Masterclass. Duration 6 to 8 weeks using online one-on-one live video conference via Google+ or Skype and email/chat communication supported with pre-recorded HD video tutorials. Extensive portfolio reviews and real-time online demonstrations on how to improve are an essential part.
2. An online workshop focused on Long exposure photography: the Long Exposure Masterclass. Duration 6 to 8 weeks using online live one-on-one video chats via Google+ or Skype and email/chat communication supported with pre-recorded HD video tutorials. Extensive portfolio reviews and real-time online demonstrations on how to improve are an essential part.
3. A combination of both Black and White Photography private Masterclass and the Long Exposure Masterclass. Duration 6 to 8 weeks.
4. A private mentorship. This course is designed to guide you over a longer period of time, again using online tools like Google+ video hangouts or Skype video chats. A private mentorship will also allow going into what fine-art photography is and discuss related important topics that are important in the natural progress of an artist.
Difference workshop and mentorship
The difference between a workshop and mentorship is that workshops are usually designed for acquiring a set of mostly practical skills within a limited period of time (6 to 8 weeks) while the mentorships are designed for acquiring the same practical skill sets over a longer period of time in which continuous evaluation is an essential part. There is more time to discuss topics, complete practical assignments and hence there’s a more realistic learning curve and a more realistic assessment of the progress. Due to the longer time frames, mentorships also allow for acquiring more theoretical knowledge and skills on top of the practical skills, that will give you broader insight into what fine art photography is. This allows you to not only know HOW to photograph and edit a scene but also WHY you do that and place that in a specific perspective, meaning: development of artistic vision will play a more prominent role in online mentorships.
An indicative price range of online workshops and mentorships (exact prices depend on the personal preferences, additional modules, etc.):
– online workshops: $600 for a 6-8 weeks course. Note that there will be discounts a few times per year.
– online mentorships: $400 per month for an online mentorship of at least 3 months. After 3 months it will be assessed and advised if the mentorship should be extended for 1 or more months. If you live in the Netherlands you will have the option to have a one-on-one in-person meeting with me to shoot together for a small additional fee. If you live abroad then this is also an option but of course, this option will cost more depending on travel costs.
*If you are interested in an online workshop or mentorship, then please fill out one of the forms by clicking on the ‘I’m Interested’ buttons below
Interested in Online Workshop
If you are interested in an online workshop, then please fill out the form by clicking on the ‘I’m Interested’ button. I will contact you after receiving the form.
Interested In online Mentorship
If you are interested in an online mentorship, then please fill out the form by clicking on the ‘I’m Interested’ button. I will contact you after receiving the form
Portfolio Reviews And Other Live Video Consults
Online, live video consults or portfolio reviews using Skype or Google Hangout
Portfolio ReviewUp to 10 images per session
- A live portfolio review session including demonstrations will take around 2 hours. This live video session will be preceded by an email exchange with the images to be reviewed.
Live Video ConsultsFor anything related to black and white photography
- For questions related to fine-art photography, architectural photography, long exposure photography and other topics that can be handled within around 1.5 hours.
Many people who have attended one of my online or in person workshops know that I’m specialized in portfolio reviews. I always keep in mind the original vision and intention of the student/artist and I believe that this original and personal vision should always form the foundation of this portfolio review. Performing a review purely based on the technical merits of a photo is useless if you don’t know the artist’s intention. The review should always be inside the contextual boundaries of the artist’s artistic intention. Needless to say that I always respect the artistic intention, that is sacred.
Roughly a portfolio review will be performed according to the following criteria:
1. Technical execution (basic camera skills, composition, etc.).
2. Black and white conversion (optional, if the photo is in B&W).
3. Realization and expression of the original artistic vision: “how did the artist express his vision and is this visual expression a logical and effective one, keeping in mind the artistic vision?” – this will include both criteria #1 and #2.
Online portfolio reviews will include in-depth reviews of specific images with detailed suggestions and if needed on-line live video demonstration on how to improve.
Besides online portfolio reviews, I also do video consults on anything related to black and white fine-art photography, architectural photography or long exposure photography. So if you have a question that can be handled in roughly less than 1.5 hours then you can fill out the form below and we will set a date together.
Indicative price range for portfolio reviews and live video consults
– varying from $150 to $300 per portfolio review session depending on the needs, additional options and size of the portfolio. If more portfolio review sessions are needed, then discounted packages of max. 3 portfolio review sessions are possible.
– live video consults are set at $130/hour (max. 1.5 hours).
Interested in Portfolio Review
If you are interested in an online portfolio review, then please fill out the form by clicking on the ‘I’m Interested’ button. I will contact you after receiving the form.
Interested In Live Video Consult
If you are interested in an online video consult, then please fill out the form by clicking on the ‘I’m Interested’ button. I will contact you after receiving the form
Public Group Workshops
Real life workshops anywhere in the world for larger groups.
Public Group WorkshopsWorldwide
- Prices depend on location and size of the group.
- I haven’t conducted a public group workshop (> 10 students) since 2015 as I prefer the more extensive interaction and attention for the individual within a small group. It is therefore recommended to check my private workshops (1 to max. 5 students).
As a professional fine art photographer I teach fine art architectural photography and Black and White photography post processing group workshops around the world on a regular basis, from Vienna to Melbourne to New York to Chicago. Any place is possible. Those are usually larger group workshops with around 20 students per workshop. In case you’re interested in such a workshop then keep an eye on any announcements I will post on this website or on my social media.
Commissioned Work And Other Professional Photography Services
If you are looking for a professional (fine art) photographer specialised in architecture, seascapes, automotive and still life photography in high quality black and white or color for your commercial needs, then I can provide you with a tailor made professional service and a quote for your specific needs.
Other professional services include licensing of images for any commercial purpose. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
To get an impression of my work, other than architecture: please have a look at the few examples for which my work have been used, in the gallery below.
Interested in one of the workshops or mentorships? Or do you have a very specific request? A taylor made solution is also an option. Feel free to send me an email to: email@example.com
Note: All prices of the above mentioned real life and online workshops are depending on the type of workshops, the location and the personal preferences. Of course, private online workshops are usually cheaper than real life workshops since the compensation for travel and accommodations are not included. At the same time, if you don’t mind to have a private workshop with one or max. two other students, then prices can decrease significantly since costs for travel/accommodations and fees will be spread out over the participants.
I have met Joel Tjintjelaar in 2014 on one of the Vision Explorers workshops in New York where he was the presenter.
I was very impressed with what I had learned at the workshop, but I wanted more. I had approached Joel about his one-on-one mentorship programs and I was successful in securing a spot.
The mentorship program that Joel provides is extremely detailed and not an easy one to do. There is a lot of emphasis on background theory and history study of fine art photography as well as many practical assignments. Whilst there is a weekly structure in place to follow, there is also a room for an individual tailoring of the content. The weekly video chats were constructive with invaluable feedback. I could see my improvements in many aspects of fine art photography, to the degree that I have won one Gold award with the Australian Institute of Professional Photographers and several Silvers. I was also pleased to have received two Honorary Mentions from PX3 Prix de la Photographie Paris White competition, all under Joel’s guidance and mentoring, as well as several Silver and Bronze awards in the International Loupe Awards. I am planning to continue with the advanced mentorship program with Joel next year.
I can highly recommend Joel’s mentorship program to artists/ photographers who want to learn the magic of Fine Art Black and White Photography.Irena Prikryl
I was part of Joel’s exclusive online B&W masterclass and it was the first formal art training I had ever received. If I were to go back and start my journey in fine art photography today, I would take his class again because it was the best foundation I could have asked for. Joel gives you the tools to process your images in accordance with the way your mind’s eye interprets the scene. You learn a lot in a short period of time. I came out of his class with the technical ability and confidence to create better images than ever before. Joel has a fun style of teaching. He is very approachable and cares that his students are learning the content. What I loved most about the experience is that it felt more like a mentorship than a workshop. Although there is a set structure with weekly assignments, Joel caters his instruction to your specific needs. He keeps things laid back and is open to discussing topics not directly related to the class. He assisted me with contest submissions and gave me some great career advice. Being that Joel is one of the best modern day B&W fine art photographers, where else would you want to go for this type of one-on-one access? Note that while Joel talks about vision and has you do an assignment on the topic, it takes years, if not a lifetime, to hone your artistic vision. The good thing is that when you find your vision, you will have the technical ability to bring that vision to life.Simos Xenakis
I have known Joel for 6 months and I consider him to be one of the best BW fine art photographers. He has his very personal and unambiguous style of photography. The photos have delicacy and are delightful with magical beauty. For me these fine art photos are true master pieces.
These master pieces have triggered my passion for BW photography. Before that moment I was dissatisfied with my photos and I have been searching for a personal style. Joel changed all of this. Since January, 2014 I am very proud and honoured to be one of his mentor students. During the first video chats I knew that he ís a Master (as well as an open person). In the beginning he taught me his techniques in a very interactive way and always open for discussion and questions. Joel states that “technique and post processing is a very crucial aspect but to develop your personal style/vision is the most important and at the same time the most difficult aspect in fine art photography”. How to become an artist? We talk and discuss a lot about personal style and vision, actually it takes most of our time.
The combination of a unique artistic personality and the outstanding teaching qualities make Joel the perfect mentor. In April, 2014 we met for the first time in New York City during a Vision Explorers Fine Art Architectural Photography Workshop. It was a great time and it turned out that he is also a fabulous and outstanding teacher/mentor in the field. During a portfolio discussion I had the opportunity to show two of my BW fine art photos that I made the last three months in the class room in front of the others. The reviews were excellent and Joel showed his enthusiasm and told me that he was very proud.
So if you are a serious BW photographer who wants to increase and improve your artistic level I would highly recommend Joel Tjintjelaar.Henk Bijl
This cutting-edge development is based on creating hard selections with accurate soft edges. This sounds like a contradiction, however, in reality, the human eye is only capable in seeing edges that appear sharp, but have compensated visually with a degree of softness. With a click of a few buttons, selections that normally may take hours or days can be completed in a matter of minutes. The efficiency, accuracy, and clarity is truly amazing and you are in complete control of defining the edge.
One of the finest contemporary Fine Art Photographer ever, who beside his immense talent loves to share his knowledge with so much passion, yes, Joel, you are a great Mentor/Teacher and certainly a wonderful human been. You are an inspiration Master to me and for so many of us whom are deeply touched by your photos who tells a great and melodious story. My deeply thanks for the wonderful journey on taking my photography to a higher level; it was a great honour to be your pupil, an experience that I will never forget. I can’t thank you enough for everything you learned me. One of the most important lessons to me was how you helped me evolve my vision and how to translate it into my images. Thank you for being who you are and thank you for your immense talent!Gittan Beheydt
Joel’s B&W online workshop is a highly personalized forum catering to individual goals, strengths and areas of development. More than just sharing secrets and workflow, Joel moves beyond the technical to help you discover and unleash your artistic potential by translating your personal vision. Overall the goal of the workshop is to create your best B&W image by capturing the essence of a subject to evoke an emotional connection with your viewer. Joel is very adept at scheduling regular video chats on a global time zone that are comprehensive, customized and productive; often going well beyond the agreed upon duration. He also is known to extemporaneously offer further guidance to his graduates where his insight has proven invaluable when entering (and winning!) prestigious international exhibits. Joel is indeed a master of his craft who has a highly contagious passion, and remarkable sense of ease about him that makes you feel like his peer rather than a student. I enthusiastically recommend any workshop by Joel Tjintjelaar as the ultimate creative experience; an opportunity not to be missed.Joanne Scherf